The Oblates of St. Joseph Minor Seminary, formerly known as St. Joseph Mission Institute, was built in 1951 by Italian missionaries belonging to the Congregation of the Oblates of St. Joseph. Located beside the Archdiocesan Shrine and Parish of St. Joseph the Patriarch, San Jose, Batangas, the Oblates of St. Joseph Minor Seminary used to house the high school and college seminarians of the congregation.
After more than two decades of existence, due to scarcity of vocation and difficult times, the high school department was closed. The college seminarians, nonetheless, remained and continued their studies in the diocesan seminary.
In the late seventies, a group of young boys, mostly elementary students who serve during the mass, called the Marello’s Altar Knights was organized in all parishes under the administration of the Oblates of St. Joseph. This group has become a fertile ground for young boys to stir their interest in pursuing vocation to the priesthood. Consequently, a great number of possible applicants coming from the said organization became evident so that the congregation deemed it wise to reopen the High School department. It was also providential that the college seminarians who were once residing in the same building have moved much earlier to their new home in Marawoy, Lipa City.
Hence, in 1984, the former St. Joseph Mission Institute was revived with new vigor and a new name, the Oblates of St. Joseph Minor Seminary.
Today, the OSJ Minor Seminary is the home of Junior High School and Senior High School Seminarians who are formed in the five Christian and Human aspects - Spiritual, Physical, Intellectual, Social, and Emotional.